Dangerous misinformation about mercury in compact fluorescent light bulbs
Proponents of compact fluorescent light bulbs often play down the fact that these light bulbs contain mercury, a dangerous neurotoxin. For example, Cindi Hinton dishes out this nonsense on Examiner.com
They only contain 1.4 to 4 milligrams of mercury. That’s about the amount that would cover the tip of a ballpoint pen.
The amount of mercury that would cover the tip of a ballpoint pen is enough to pollute 6,000 gallons of water beyond safe levels for drinking, according to LightBulbRecycling.com
. The Environmental Protection Agency thinks these light bulbs are so dangerous that they have issued guidance on “What to Do if a Fluorescent or Other Mercury-Containing Light Bulb Breaks
The EPA has also issued guidance on “What Never to Do with a Mercury Spill
.” One of their instructions is “Never use a broom to clean up mercury. It will break the mercury into smaller droplets and spread them.” But what does Cindi Hinton say you should do if you have a CFL light bulb that breaks?
…gently sweep broken pieces into a jar.
Ms. Hinton should be ashamed of herself. Let’s hope her readers don’t follow her advice.
This entry was posted in CFLs & Health Issues
, Mercury and Health
and tagged cfl cleanup
, cfl mercury
, Cindi Hinton
, compact fluorescent light bulb
, compact fluorescent lightbulb
, mercury cleanup
, mercury pollution
. Bookmark the permalink